Step 3: Tenure Appointment
Application for appointment to Tenure Line requires prior approval from the Executive Vice President; you cannot apply to Tenure Line without first gaining this approval.
Assistant Professor Appointment Checklist
Electronic documents should be submitted by your department administrator via Interfolio. Documents should be ordered and named in Interfolio as described below.
Discuss with your academic chair.
Before you do any of the below, you must first discuss with your academic chair and confirm the appropriate appointment or promotion for you. If you do not know your academic chair, you may find them through the faculty portal.
- All sections of this form should be completed
- Form should be signed by both the applicant, primary department chair, and secondary department chair (if applicable)
- Faculty Action Request Form (FA-1U)
- Chair’s letter of support is addressed to the Chair of the Committee on Appointments and Promotions, Dr. Max Riesenhuber
- Chair’s letter addresses prior experience and future plans for teaching, research, and service
- Should be dated no earlier than four months before submission via Interfolio
- Chair’s Letter Format
- Applicants applying for Instructor or Assistant Professor are not required to submit evidence of teaching, but it is recommended
- Examples of teaching can be provided in one or more of the following formats: Teaching Section Form; summary of teaching evaluation scores; statement of teaching philosophy with long and short term goals; list of career development activities, awards and honors, intramural and extramural teaching activities, and graduate and post-doctoral fellow training
- Evidence of highest degree is provided in one of the following formats: notarized copy of degree, letter from the registrar, notarized copy of ECFMG certificate, verification from the American Medical Association, or copy of transcript
- Degree release and verification form
- Applicants applying for Assistant Professor or higher must be board certified. Board Certification is not required at the rank of Instructor
- Evidence of Board Certification is provided in one of the following formats: Letter from certifying board, verification from the American Medical Association, copy of board certificate, ABMS verification
- Board Certification should be current and include end date of certification
- Board Certification
- The CV must be formatted using the GUMC template (approved in 2020) and signed by the applicant
- Sections that are not applicable should be indicated with N/A or deleted from the format
- CV Template
- Offer letters are needed only for first time faculty appointments with Georgetown University School of Medicine. Those seeking promotions do not need an offer letter.
- The offer letter must be drafted by the Department Administrator and sent to the Office of Faculty and Academic Affairs for approval
- After the offer letter is formally approved, the department mails the letter and it is signed by the faculty member
- The signed copy should be uploaded to Interfolio by the Department Administrator with the remaining contents of the application
- Note: This offer letter is for OFAA records and will not be viewed by the Committee on Appointments and Promotions
- Tenure Offer Letter Template
- All sections of the confidential form should be completed
- Note: This form is for OFAA records and will not be viewed by the Committee on Appointments and Promotions
- Confidential Form
The deadlines for rank and tenure are currently the same every year.
Deadline for promotion and/or grant of tenure to associate or full professor please refer to the Faculty Handbook, Section III.D.10.c as amended in June 2019.
For those who are Tenure eligible (not already tenured) and who had opted for the old application rules, the deadline is September 15, 2022. For tenure eligible faculty seeking grant of tenure and/or promotion to Associate Professor or Professor, MUST be received in the OFAA by September 15, 2022 in order to meet the University Committee on Rank and Tenure (UCRT) March 1, 2023 deadline. Please refer to the Faculty Handbook, Section III.D.10.c as amended in June 2019. The Office of Faculty and Academic Affairs must have the entire application, including the list of potential arm’s length external evaluator names from the Applicant and the Department Chair by September 15, 2022.
For those who are Tenure eligible (not already tenured), are in their first through six years of their tenure probationary period, and who are following the new application rules, the deadline is May 15, 2023. For tenure eligible faculty seeking grant of tenure and/or promotion to Associate Professor or Professor, MUST be received in the OFAA by May 15, 2023 in order to meet the University Committee on Rank and Tenure (UCRT) January 15, 2024 deadline. Please refer to the Faculty Handbook, Section III.D.10.c as amended in June 2019. The Office of Faculty and Academic Affairs must have the entire application, including the list of potential arm’s length external evaluator names from the Applicant and the Department Chair by May 15, 2023.
If you have any questions about the New or Old Tenure Application Rules, or are unsure of which application rule applies to you, please contact Annie Alston (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please work with your Department Administrator or Human Resources Contact (HRC) to discuss the application process and when they need the paperwork from you before the deadline.